Tuesday 29 March 2016

5 Background Techniques with AquaTints Volume 1

Following on from my previous post 5 Background Techniques with Distress Inks, I am pleased to demonstrate another medium for you – Spectrum Noir’s AquaTints.  You’ve probably seen me using these here and there in my art journal videos but in case you are unsure these are a liquid watercolour ink in a variety of colours!  They are super pigmented and also include a silver and gold mica paint.

Techniques featured in this volume:

  1. Washed Watercolour Blend
  2. Mica Spray
  3. Chalk Paints
  4. Faux Bleaching
  5. Mica Resist

WP_20160329_13_38_47_Pro

1. To create a good washed background use a wide flat brush, a watercolour cardstock and spritz the card with water first.  This is called wet-into-wet.

WP_20160329_13_39_36_Pro

2. Using a small spritzer bottle add colour and a little water.  To create a mica spray take a pinch of either the gold or silver mica paint.

WP_20160329_13_39_12_Pro

3. Create any sort of background and then use water to create a faux bleached effect.  In this example I lifted up a large circle which could be a moon and I splattered water drops from my fingers.  You water from a paint brush gently so as not to damage the paper’s surface and use a watercolour card to ensure that it will let go of the pigment. 

WP_20160329_13_40_14_Pro

4. You can mix AquaTints with white gesso to create a chalk paint.  Just remember that the colour will be paler than when neat.

WP_20160329_13_40_32_Pro

5. Stamp with the mica paints and allow to dry fully.  Wash over with your colours and they will resits the mica.  In my attempt I don’t think I let it dry enough as there is some smudging when I brushed over with my brush.   I used two colours to create a streaky finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment